A library is a sacred place and a source of culture, knowledge and intellect for people, nation and society.
Azerbaijani libraries are the national wealth of the Azerbaijani people. Our libraries play an invaluable role in collecting and preserving the valuable historical-cultural, literary-artistic and scientific-philosophical heritage created by our people, in transmitting the achievements of human culture from generation to generation, and in increasing the intellectual and spiritual potential of our society.
Since ancient times, our country has been selected for its high book culture and known for its rich libraries.
As stated in the ‘Law on Library Work’ of the Republic of Azerbaijan, a library is a social institution that collects and preserves printed works and other information carriers as a science, information, culture, educational institution, organizes their systematic expression, and serves the development of society, intellectual and spiritual potential.
Today, more than 12,000 different types of libraries operate in Azerbaijan with a wide information network. Librarians of higher education institutions, including the Scientific library of Sumgait State University, occupy a special place among these libraries.
The scientific library of Sumgait State University started working as a branch of Mashadi Azizbayov Institute of Petroleum Chemistry in 1966, since 1975 it has been operating as the library of Azerbaijan Industrial Institute, and since 2000 Sumgait State University Library. Since 2014, it has been operating as a Scientific library by the decision of the Scientific Council of SSU on February 28, 2014.
a) The scientific library is one of the leading structural units of the higher school, it is a center for the dissemination of spiritual and intellectual relations that teaches the process of education and scientific research, provides scientific-methodical literature and information materials, and promotes knowledge.
b) In its work, the scientific library is guided by the Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Law on Education of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the ‘Law on Library Work’, state and government documents, regulatory documents of the Ministry of Education, orders of the higher education institution to which it belongs.
1) Provide library, information-bibliography service in accordance with the information needs and requests of students, bachelors, masters, doctoral students, scientific workers, professors and other categories of readers of the university;
2) To form the library fund according to the profile of the university and the information needs of the readers, in addition to the traditional printed product, to switch to new information technology, while educating the information culture, instilling in the readers the ability to use the information-bibliography apparatus of the library and new information technology.
The Scientific library of SSU organizes the completion of the book fund according to the specialties.
The scientific library helps readers to use the book fund more efficiently, provides professors and teachers, doctoral students, master"s students, students with textbooks, teaching textbooks, methodical instructions, journals and their electronic versions.
The scientific library has 15 employees.
From 2004 to the present, Amrahova Naila Nagy gizi has been working as the director of the scientific library.
There are 4 departments in the scientific library:
1. Completing and bookbinding department
2. Information-bibliography department
3. Service department (subscription and reading room)
4. Department of fiction
Employees of the scientific library:
1. Mehriban Huseynova, head of department in the assembly and bookbinding department,
Sevinj Aliyeva, librarian;
2. Ragsana Abdurakhmanova, head of the information and bibliography department,
Librarian Nəzirə Novruzova;
3. Narmina Iskenderova, senior librarian in the subscription section of the service department,
Ulkar Ramazanova, bibliographer;
In the reading room, Khatira Aliyeva is the chief librarian, Sabiga Mirzayeva is the librarian;
4. Sevinj Mammadova is the head of the department, Tahmina Agakishiyeva is the librarian in the fiction department;
5. Librarian Shahla Rzayeva serving readers with an electronic library;
6. Sevinj Jalilova, senior bibliographer, in scanning books with a scanner.
Turan Mammadova is a librarian.
Nabat Hajiyeva at the library in the 3rd building of the university
3. Fund of the scientific library:
General fund – 160896 Scientific literature - 34799
Books – 127634 Educational literature-85863
Methodical instructions- 9281 Fiction-28636
Journals – 20208 Socio-political literature-8844
Abstract - 1979 Foreign literature-2654
Master"s dissertations - 1237
Doctoral dissertations - 28 Azerbaijan literature -81536
Electronic discs – 529 Russian literature – 79360
An electronic library also operates in the Scientific library equipped with modern computer equipment and connected to the Internet. The inventory number of 3198 literature titles out of 5191 titles with 27048 copies in Latin script in the database of the electronic library has been entered into the system. 340 titles of literature have been entered into the system in pdf format. 300 books were scanned and placed in the database of the electronic library with the scanning device given to the library. An electronic catalog has been created and related work is ongoing. Reader cards are also programmed and will be served to readers via computer. Reader cards of students, professors and staff of SSU, which is a member of the scientific library, are placed in the system of the electronic library. The literature in the name of each reader is also included in the system in the electronic reader card. 1,383 readers" cards were processed in the subscription section, and 746 in the fiction section and placed in the program. These works will be continued as soon as you become a member of the scientific library. In addition, the electronic version of textbooks and teaching materials, methodical materials, subject programs, doctoral theses, master"s theses, new lecture texts sent from the departments are placed on computers and made available to students. Thus, all this creates good conditions for students to use the Scientific library and the electronic library more efficiently.
Preservation of the book fund is one of the main duties of every library employee.