Department of Chemistry and its Teaching Methods
Department of Chemistry and its teaching methods was established in 1972 under the name of department of Inorganic and physical chemistry. Professor Ismayil Sadigov candidate of chemical sciences made a great contribution to the organization and formation of the department.
Cand.chem.sc, Professor Ismayil Sadigov was leading the department in 1972-1974. Docent Rasul Jalilov was the head of the department in 1974-1986. Department of Electrochemical production technology was established in 1985 (head of the department was docent Shamsaddin Novruzov). The department was called General chemistry in 1985, Department of Chemistry in 1996. Dr.chem.sc, Professor Ramiz Sultanov was leading the department from 1986 to 2004.
Following departments were established on the basis of the Department of Chemistry: Department of General and inorganic chemistry (in 2001; chiefs of the department were docent Rashid Gahramanov in 2001-2015, Professor Mukhtar Samadov in 2015-2017), Department of Analytic chemistry (in 2004; chief of the department was docent Humbat Eminov), Department of Teaching methods of chemistry (in 2005, head of the department was docent Aghaisa Askarov). According to resolution of Scientific Board of the university the department was called Department of Organic and physical chemistry. Docent Musa Mustafayev was leading the department in 2004-2017.
The Department of Teaching methods of chemistry was united with Department of General and inorganic chemistry. Department of General and inorganic chemistry was united with Department of Organic and physical chemistry by the decision dated March 29, 2017 of Scientific Board of Sumgayit State University and was called Department of Chemistry and its teaching methods. Head of the department is docent Musa Mustafayev.
1 Dr.tech.sc, professor, 7 candidates in chemistry sciences , docents, 2 senior lecturers, 1 PhD in chemistry docent , 4 assistants and 1 part-time assistant are working at the department.
Names and positions of the personnel:
1. Mustafayev Musa Musa oglu – head of department, part-time docent
2. Pirguliyeva Matanat Safar gizi - docent, part-time
3. Samadov Mukhtar Mammad oglu – professor, part-time
4. Orujov Kamal Janahmad oglu – docent
5. Askarov Aghaisa Bayramali oglu – docent
6. Aliyeva Aida Gazanfar gizi – docent
7. Ahmadov Valiyaddin Nusrat oglu – docent
8. Guliyeva Gulzar Nizam gizi – docent
9. Mammadova Aynur Alim gizi - docent
10. Seyidova Antiqa Nasib gizi – senior lecturer
11. Javadova Sadagul Hasan gizi- senior lecturer
12. Adigozalova Khanim Alibala gizi – assistant
13. Abdullayeva Husniyya Bahram gizi – assistant
14. Maharramova Aida Saleh gizi – assistant
15. Ahmadova Firuza Famil gizi – assistant
16. Abiyeva Arzu Yunis oglu – part-time assistant
17. Mahmudova Rahila Amirsultan gizi – head of laboratory
18. Aliyeva Saadat Garay gizi – senior lab.assistant
19. Sadigova Dilara Aghayar gizi - senior lab.assist.
20. Khudiyeva Sevinj Sabir gizi - senior lab.assist.
21. Murshudlu Narmin Afig gizi - senior lab.assist
22. Gulmaliyeva Afat Ahmad gizi – lab.assist.
23. Hasanova Simnara Sadraddin gizi – preparator
24. Guliyeva Jamila Gabil gizi - preparator
2 disserators in doctor of sciences program , 15 master students are engaged in scientific work at the department.
2. General chemistry
3. Inorganic chemistry
4. Organic chemistry
5. Organic chemistry and ecological safety
6. Chemistry of elemental organic compounds
7. Chemical bases of life activity
8. Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds
9. Physical chemistry
10. Physical-colloid chemistry
11. Colloid chemistry
12. Analytic and physical chemistry
13. Fundamentals of chemical thermodynamics
14. Surface processes
15. Physical research methods
16. Crystal chemistry
17. Chemistry of semiconductors
18. Solid state chemistry
19. Basics of physical-chemical analysis
20. General chemistry teaching methodology
21. Teaching methodology of inorganic chemistry
22. Methodology of teaching inorganic and organic chemistry
23. Chemistry teaching methodology
24. Didactics of chemistry
25. Basics of the curriculum in teaching
26. Chemistry of the environment
27. General education curriculum
28. Basics of general education curriculum
29. Methods of chemical analysis in secondary school
1. Modern problems of chemistry
2. Theoretical bases of inorganic chemistry
3. Inorganic materials science
4. Chemistry of solids
5. Bases of inorganic synthesis
6. Bases of synthesis of mineral acids and salts
7. Chemistry of natural inorganic compounds
8. History and methodology of chemistry
9. Research methods of inorganic substances
10. Physical-chemical analysis
11. Two-component systems
12. Theoretical bases of crystallochemistry
13. Research methods
14. Theoretical bases of organic chemistry
16. Heterocyclic compounds
17. Chemistry of metal organic compounds
18. Elegant-organic synthesis
19. Elemental organic compounds
20. Synthesis of drug substances
21. Conformational analysis
22. Chemistry of dyestuffs
23. Chemistry of bioorganic, natural and physiologically active compounds
24. Applied electrochemistry
25. Thermochemistry and calorimetry
26. Thermodynamics of solutions
27. Thermodynamics of phase equilibrium
28. Theory of electrolyte solutions
29. Chemical kinetics
31. Surface processes
32. Chemical equilibrium
33. Modern problems of teaching methods of chemistry
34. Organization of chemistry cabin and laboratory
35. The role of connection between natural sciences in teaching chemistry
36. Extracurricular and independent work in the study of chemistry
37. Current state of chemistry education and development prospects
38. Economic and environmental education and training in teaching chemistry
39. The role of chemical language in the development of thinking
40. History and methodology of chemistry teaching methodology
41. Methodology of teaching chemistry in higher school
42. Solving difficult problems in chemistry
43. Organization and conduct of pedagogical experience in chemistry
44. Methodology of chemistry and experimental work
Scientific directions of the department:
2306.01 – Organic chemistry. Subject: Synthesis and features of carbo and heterofunctional silicon organic monomers
3303.01 – Chemistry technology and engineering. Theoretical bases of decomposition reaction of natural phosphate in mineral acids in the presence of intensifying components
Recent publications of the department:
10 books, more than 230 scientific articles and theses, including 17 articles abroad were published, 8 patents were adopted in recent 5 years.
84 subject programs, including 14 subject programs with the griffin of Ministry of Education, 20 programs by the griffin of University’s Scientific Council, 128 syllabuses, 2 textbooks, 8 teaching aids,1monography and 2 methodic book were published by the department personnel. 6 Eurasian and 2 Republican patent were obtained.
The personnel of the department of Chemistry and its teaching methods collaborate with Baku State University, Azerbaijan State Pedagogical University, Azerbaijan State University of Oil and Industry, Ganja State University, Lankaran State University, Polymer Materials Institute of ANAS, Petrochemical Processes Institute of ANAS, Catalysis and Inorganic Chemistry Institute of ANAS, Tbilisi State University, Moscow Organic Chemistry Institute of RAS, Riga Organic Synthesis Institute, Ufa State Oil Technical University, Pskov State University, Russian Chemical-Technological University, Irkutsk Institute of Chemistry of Siberia section of Russia AS.
4 employees of the department were awarded with title of “Honorary teacher” and with “Taraggi” medal, 2 employees were awarded with “Advanced education employee” badge of Azerbaijan Republic.
According to the Order by Presidium of Supreme Attestation Commission under the President of Azerbaijan Republic dated December 15, 2017, FD.02.193 Dissertation Council was instituted under Sumgayit State University for conducting defense of dissertations presented for getting PhD degree. Head of the department of Chemistry and its teaching methods docent Musa Mustafayev was appointed Scientific secretary of Dissertation Council. In 2018, 6 people defended their dissertations at the Dissertation Council meetings. All of them were awarded the scientific degree of Doctor of Philosophy by the decision of the HAC. According to the decision No. F-156 of the Presidium of the Higher Attestation Commission under the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, dated December 28, 2019, the FD 2.23 Dissertation Council was established to conduct the defense of dissertations submitted for getting the Ph.D. degree .The head of the department of Chemistry and its teaching methodology assoc.prof. Musa Mustafayev was appointed the scientific secretary of the Dissertation Council. The defense of 2 people was held at the meetings of the Dissertation Council, and the defense of the third dissertation will be held on 28.10.2022.